News & Events
Griffith University is an Official Partner of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018)
Gold Coast Common Wealth Games 2018 @ Griffith University Campus.
Griffith University is an Official Partner of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) and is the first University in history to partner with Commonwealth Games. This world-first partnership offers students the chance to be closely involved the biggest sporting event in Australia in this decade. Griffith University’s facilities will be used by visiting athletes and officials in the lead-up to and during the GC2018.
Griffith University is also:
- Creative Arts Partner – GC2018
- Presenting Partner – GC2018 Marathon
- Official Partner – Australian Commonwealth Games Team
Our students have and continue to enjoy unique learning experiences, with approximately 250* internships available with the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Organising Corporation (GOLDOC) and additional placements with the Games Delivery Partners in the lead-up and during GC2018 across a variety of study areas. Many courses will also include GC2018-related material embedded in the study content.
Scholarships are available for students from Commonwealth nations and territories including Australia, who wish to study sport or a sport related field. The Sporting Excellence Scholarships are available to elite athletes. These scholarships include full tuition, accommodation and assistance with other educational expenses.
Key aspects of the partnership include:
- Internships – 250 Griffith internships with the Games organizing body, GOLDOC and its partners over the next three years across a variety of study areas
- Facilities – Campus facilities used in the lead up and during the Games
- Scholarships – Students from all Commonwealth nations, including Australia, eligible for the new Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Scholarships at Griffith University
- Creative Arts Partner – Griffith will contribute to the creative arts program running concurrently with GC2018, potentially including Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
- Team Australia – Official University Partner of 2018 Australian Commonwealth Games Team.
- Queen’s Baton Relay – Griffith campuses included in the Queen’s Baton Relay celebrations
Griffith has a history associated with the Commonwealth Games. Athletes at the 1982 Commonwealth Games in Brisbane were accommodated at Griffith’s Nathan campus which was next door to QEII Stadium where the famous ‘winking kangaroo’ Opening Ceremony was held.
The Griffith Aquatic Centre is due for completion in early 2017. This purpose built, world-class facility includes a 50m swimming pool and associated fitness area, helping to create a sports hub on the Gold Coast campus. Swimmers and other GC2018 athletes from across the Commonwealth will have access to the facility for training purposes.
Also located on the Gold Coast campus is a national standard athletics track which includes; a synthetic running surface, full throwing cage (hammer, discuss), pole vaulting and a water jump facilities. Our athletics track will also be available to athletes for training and warm-up purposes for competing athletes at GC2018.
The Griffith University Red Zone is a technologically advanced interactive venue on our Gold Coast and Nathan campuses, that offers a unique and creative space for meetings, collaboration and study. The Gold Coast campus’ Red Zone will play an important role in our GC2018 partnership – it will be the location for our Commonwealth Games exhibit, which will be open to the public from late 2016.
Admissions Open for Feb 2018 and July 2018.
Source of Information: Griffith University